Home Advice for Parents & CarersLow income benefits Income Support during parental leave

Income Support during parental leave

Income Support has been replaced by Universal Credit for any new claims.

The rest of this article is only relevant if you are already in receipt of Income Support or in circumstances where you have Severe Disability Premium in place. 

You can claim Income Support (IS) if you were entitled to Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit of more than the Family Element or Housing Benefit before the leave began. You must be taking statutory parental leave (if you are not entitled to parental leave but your employer is allowing you time off, you cannot claim IS). You must live in the same household as your child(ren). You must meet all the other conditions for IS. For example, you may not be able to claim it if your partner is working.

You claim IS in the normal way from the Jobcentre or by ringing Jobcentre Plus on 0800 055 66 88. You will find more information about claiming IS on the GOV.UK website. Any new claimants of IS have to claim Universal Credit instead. You will be told what you need to do if this applies to you.

If you have further questions and would like to contact our advice team please use our advice contact form below or call us.

Advice contact form

Have you heard about your right to request flexible working? Watch our film to find out more.

DonateReceive updates button