Income support – for carers

Income Support has been replaced by Universal Credit for any new claims.

The rest of this article is only relevant if you are already in receipt of Income Support or in circumstances where you have Severe Disability Premium in place. 

You may be able to get Income Support (IS) on its own or in addition to Carer’s Allowance. You will need to be providing at least 35 hours a week of care for someone on Attendance Allowance, the daily living component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or the highest or middle rate care component of Disability Living Allowance. You will need to meet all the other conditions for IS.

You can find out more about Income Support for carers on the Carers UK website, and can also contact them if you need advice about it. You can find out more about claiming IS on the GOV.UK website.

Have you heard about your right to request flexible working? Watch our film to find out more.