2018 Modern Families Index summary report
This report summarises the key findings from the 2018 Modern Families Index – the most comprehensive survey of how working families manage the balance between work and family life in the UK. Now in its sixth year, it has been published annually by charity Working Families and Bright Horizons Family Solutions since 2012.
- Parents are working far beyond their contracted hours
- These long hours are causing damage – on time spent together as a family and on parental relationships and wellbeing.
- Many families aren’t even ‘just about managing’ — with neither the time or money they need.
- Working parents are taking significant action including deliberately stalling their careers. This is evidence of a ‘parenthood penalty’
- The right to request flexible working has not gone far enough to deliver work life balance for families.
The report also summarises our policy recommendations.
Download the full report.